‘Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity’ (The National Curriculum).
At Dauntsey Academy Primary School, our music curriculum inspires self-expression and creativity and encourages our pupils on their musical journeys as well as giving them opportunities to connect with others. We encourage a life-long love of music by exposing our pupils to diverse musical experiences and igniting a passion for music. By listening and responding to different musical styles, finding their voices as performers and composers, they become confident, reflective musicians. Our pupils will understand the legacy of music of the many musicians in history as well as identifying the opportunities of their own contribution to the world of music.
At DAPS we intend our curriculum to develop pupils who:
- Can sing and use their voices individually and in a group
- Create and compose music on their own and with others
- Use technology appropriately when composing
- Have opportunities to learn a musical instrument
- Understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated
- Listen to, review and evaluate the work of great composers and musicians from a range of historical periods, genres, styles and traditions
- Enjoy and have an appreciation of a range of different musical styles e.g. Classical, Jazz, Hip Hop, Pop, Rock etc.
- Use and understand musical language and include musical features in their own work
- Make judgements about the quality of music
- Have opportunities to play a wide variety of instruments
- Have different opportunities to take part in performances